SEHA Medical Internship Program
As the largest healthcare organization in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, SEHA encourages the professional training and development of UAE nationals – and non-nationals, where space is available – in the field of medicine. One of the most important periods for development is the internship – a concentrated, supervised clinical experience in all major medical specialties.
Medical internship is a one-year clinical training program, on completion of a formal medical program, and consists of several clinical rotations over a defined period. The main aim of the medical internship program is to consolidate the medical knowledge and skills acquired through formal medical education with more immersive clinical work in hospital and outpatient settings. Clear learning objectives and expectations for each clinical rotation aim to enhance the skills necessary to provide safe and effective patient care.
At the end of the training period, the intern should have the required knowledge, skills, and attitude to work as an independent general practitioner.
Guiding principles for internships:
• Internship training is a supervised learning experience
• Appropriate care of the patient is central to the educational endeavor
• Proper education, which respects the autonomy and personal dignity of both patient and trainee, optimizes patient care as well as the educational experience
To prepare interns for future independent practice, they will have the opportunity to participate actively in the provision of healthcare: that is, they must have hands-on experience in a system of delegated and graded responsibility. By doing, as well as observing, interns learn how to question, examine, diagnose, manage, and treat patients, and to adopt the necessary attitudes towards patients, their relatives, colleagues, and other members of the healthcare team.
In determining the eligibility of an applicant for licensing with Health Authority-Abu Dhabi (HA-AD) as an intern, applicants must comply with eligibility requirements:
• UAE nationals who are graduates from approved UAE medical schools or any medical school listed on the Avicenna database (formerly the WHO Directory of Medical Schools), or
• Expatriate graduates from approved UAE medical schools listed on the Avicenna database, depending on availability of places. There is a small fee for expatriates wishing to pursue an internship program.
Applicants for the internship program must provide:
• Evidence of successful completion of an approved medical education program
• Medical school transcript
• Passport copy
• A color photograph